March 6, 2020
- Saturday, March 7, 12:00-2:00, Basic Bike Care Workshop: Free workshop designed for new bicycle owners and anyone who wants to learn to better maintain their bike so it is safe and ready to ride! Led by Bike Kitchen lead mechanics. All experience welcome! Get hands-on instruction and assistance during the workshop, and then the Bike Kitchen's Saturday open hours follow from 2-4pm if you'd like more time to wrench on your bike.
- Sunday, March 8, 10:00-1:00, Manila Park Work Party: Peninsula Community Collaborative (PCC) is hosting a work party at Manila Park on March 8th to spruce up the park. We are hoping to get some folks out to show our support, do some work, and also take care of a few course maintenance/upgrades as well while we are at it.
10:00 am - General park clean up and planned park projects. The PCC has supplies and leaders for a variety of projects of all kinds! You can sign up for specific tasks here if you'd like, or just show up and see where you can help out: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b094daeaa23a2fc1-manila
12:00 noon - Pizza lunch followed by disc golf course work (led by Par Infinity) and/or continue with park projects!
We will provide tools needed. Just bring gloves if you have them, sturdy work clothes and shoes, a water bottle, and a good attitude! The PCC will provide some work gloves, additional tools and supplies for PCC-led projects.
- Mondays & Fridays, 1:00-4:30 pm: Drop-In Hours at the Youth Service Bureau's RAVEN Project: This program provides youth an opportunity to check in with themselves regarding the status of their lives and current issues concerning their personal well-being. During drop-in youth may access our services; toiletries and other useful supplies; food; use of showers, washers and dryers; receive referrals for other community assistance and services
- Mondays & Tuesdays, 6:00-8:00 pm & Saturdays, 2:00-4:00 pm, Eureka Bike Kitchen: Providing community members access to tools, work space, knowledgeable mechanics, used bikes and bike parts.
- Tuesdays, 5:30-7:30 pm, Queer Coffee House at the Youth Service Bureau's RAVEN Project: This is a fun and safe space for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth get together. This group provides an environment in which youth can begin to get comfortable with their sexuality, practice initiating conversations about safer sex, receive health education information, and begin to find love and respect for themselves.
- Fridays, 10:00-2:00, Drop-In Garden Days: The North Coast Community Garden Collaborative will host weekly drop-In work days at Abuelita's Demonstration Garden on Fridays throughout the growing season. Garden tasks include: planting, weeding, harvesting, watering, mulching, and more. Come out and learn new gardening/permaculture techniques, meet fellow gardeners, and make a difference in your community. The produce from Abuelita's goes to families living in RCAA housing and to Food for People. For more information or to schedule another volunteer time email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 707-269-2071.
How do RCAA's programs impact you?
- Natural Resouces Services (NRS) works directly with Humboldt County community leaders, schools and parents to improve safety and encourage more children to safely walk and bicycle to school. NRS helps coordinate both the Greater Eureka and Humboldt County Safe Routes to School Task Forces.
- Teaching preschoolers oral health care is a result of the TOOTH program.
- Natural Resources Services works with community members, civic groups and local jurisdictions to enhance neighborhood street tree planting and support the development of community forests for public access and watershed protection.